It’s a series of readymade professionally designed garden border template kits to enable anyone who is new to gardening the confidence to buy the right plants and know where to put them to achieve a beautiful border easily and in less than a day.
Why buy a ready-made border?
So, you’ve been thinking about sorting the garden out – it’s easy, just pop to the garden centre and pick up some plants. What’s so difficult about that?
I was in the same situation a few years back. I was working full time and moved into a ‘new build’ property where the garden was a boring patch of turf and surrounded with a wooden fence. I couldn’t afford a garden designer and relied on donations of plants from friends and family.
- No clue about gardening but wanted a pretty space
- No time or desire to research plants and gardening ideas on the internet or books
- Garden centres were overwhelming with too many plants to choose from and no one around to give advice or help, with
- Unpronounceable plant names and written on labels that are too small to read & understand
- No idea what plants would be suitable for the garden or soil
- No knowledge about what plants go well together let alone how to create the WOW factor
- No clue as to how to take care of or maintain the plants once they’re in the garden
- A tight budget
So the proverbial seed was sown and I wanted to know more. So much so that I decided to retrain as a garden designer! I left my 20 year career in IT and set up my business designing and creating ready-made garden borders for just these situations and to help anyone get their garden sorted with minimum fuss and overcome the problems listed above. I would have loved one of these kits to help me when I moved house.
I feel it’s important for everyone to have a gorgeous garden. It completes the home for a start. It makes you feel good when you’re looking out of the window, or lazing in the garden with friends having a BBQ. It’s a great place to unwind after a busy day. Plus we need to protect and nurture our birds, butterflies, and bees.
Ready-made borders are perfect when you:
- want to create your own beautiful border(s) and just want a shopping list of what to buy – each kit has a plant list which you can take to the garden centre (or buy online)
- just want a ready-made garden design kit to follow that can be completed in less than a day – each Border in a Box has a simple diagram to follow showing what plant goes where
- have had your garden landscaped and the planting is the last job to do – no more wondering which plants look good together and if they will suit your space so that the plants will thrive
- have moved into a new home and need to refresh your garden borders easily & quickly – no need to pay for expensive landscaping.
Each Border in the Box ready-made garden design kit takes less than a day to complete meaning you’ll save oodles of time and effort by following the easy guides to creating magical garden borders.
What’s in the Box?
In every box you will receive the following:
- A fully labelled garden border design template – so you know what to plant where. Each design measures 3m x 1m but can easily be adapted to fit your space
- Mood board showing how the plants look together
- A plant list – detailing every plant in the design including a photo, flowering times and general care
- Two packet of seeds to scatter in-between plants which will flower from spring to autumn
- Information on steps to take making the border ready for planting – this will help your plants thrive in their new home
- Top-tips on how to add further interest to your border
Which Box should I choose?
There are eight border design templates to choose from. Each will give you a professionally designed border that will provide:
- colour and interest all year round
- plants that require little maintenance and
- plants that will survive longer than a few months, as they are the right plant for the right place.
The eight designs are: Sunny, Shady, Evergreen, Cottage, Clay, Contemporary, Wellbeing and Butterflies & Bees.
Each design measures 3 metres by 1 metre so it’s suitable for the smallest of gardens. If you have a larger garden you can replicate the border around the garden. This will provide continuity in the colour scheme and provide a cohesive look that is also restful on the eye.
The design can also be planted in a raised bed or containers, so each Border in a Box is a very versatile kit.
If you need help, you can upgrade to include VIP support with unlimited email access to an expert.
A Border in a Box also makes the perfect gift for a house-warming, birthdays, or any special event. You can even divide up the plant list so everyone can give a thoughtful gift.
There’s a choice of 8 boxes – Cottage, Sunny, Shady, Contemporary, Evergreen, Butterflies & Bees, Wellbeing and Clay Soil. All borders have been designed to include year round colour, texture and heights to give interest. The borders can be replicated around the garden which gives a cohesive look and is easy on the eye.
What soil is best?
All of the kits will work in normal/loam soil. They also can tolerate sun/part sun. The only exception is Clay Soil – this is specifically designed for Clay soil, but can also grow in normal soil too – so if you have a waterlogged garden, you can create a raised bed and still use this kit. The Shady garden is ideal for part shade or full shade in normal loam soil. If you’re unsure, just ask as its important to get the right plant for the right place, so please email your query to: email@example.com
Lets have a look at each design…
Butterflies & Bees
A lovely gift and helps our butterflies and bees too with flowers all year long to support our winter bees. Suitable for a normal loam soil in a sunny or part sunny border. All plants have been approved by the RHS as suitable for pollinators. The flower colour in this design are shades of mauves/pinks and creams. This is not a wildflower garden.
English Cottage Garden Border
This pretty border contains traditional favourites such as Lavender and Roses and is suitable for a sunny or part sunny border with a normal loam soil.
Sunny Garden Border
This border could easily be combined with the Cottage Garden version and is suitable for a sunny or part shade border with a normal loam soil. This is similar to the Cottage Garden Design but doesn’t include Roses as not everyone is a fan of thorns.
This border is predominantly evergreen which means the plants keep their leaves all year round and is suitable for a sunny or part shade border with a normal loam soil. I have created lots of texture using different leaf shapes and colour. Just add some seasonal bulbs (I’ve created a free chart – just ask) to add further year round interest.
This lovely collection of plants is suitable for a shady or part shady border, (but not deep shade ie under a dense tree) with a normal loam soil.
This is great for the front garden and can be planted in pots/containers as well as in the border. Suitable for sunny or part shade borders.
Perfect for a clay or loam/normal soil, and will thrive in part shade. I’ve designed this border so if you get fed up with digging in clay, you could create a raised bed and the plants in this design can be used in there too!
Wellbeing & Mindfullness
Client in Worcestershire
I first made contact with Nikki after reading her monthly article in the Pershore Times. I was looking for advice on how to improve the borders in my cottage garden. Nikki came to view the garden and listened to my thoughts on how i’d like the garden to look. Nikki then went away and came up with planting suggestions and when I’d agreed she arranged to purchase them and place them in the appropriate locations in the borders. The result has been great and really looking forward to seeing the borders evolve over the spring period. Very happy with Nikki’s approach and would thoroughly recommend her for anyone looking to improve their garden.
Client from Amazon
My Border in a Box has just arrived and it looks fab. For a novice gardener like myself, it couldn’t be more clearly laid out. The plan shows exactly which plants to plant and where to plant them i.e. back of border etc. The plant list gives a clear overview of each plant explaining the variety, the flowering time and the plant care, together with a picture of it in bloom. The packaging is beautiful and would make a wonderful gift for someone. I can’t wait to get started.
Client from Amazon
This lady purchased a Shady Border in a Box – she said
“Wow, Nikki – what a great product. I have already submitted a review to Amazon.co.uk” and went on to say…
“My husband and I found it a very easy and satisfying experience to have the list of plants, which took away all the guess work, and made it so much more fun knowing it was all going to look great in the end. We are really thrilled that for a minimal outlay we have such a lovely design, so thanks so much!”
” I ordered a border in a box design from the website with was delivered very quickly. The content in the box was very good and clear to understand, but I wasn’t too sure about one of the plants in the design. I actually was going to send it back, but Nikki did a fantastic job in showing me different varieties and alternatives, and how this could work for my border. Absolutely brilliant! Next time I need help with a border I know who to contact”